In 1803 Agnes Hastwell bought a plot of ground by the side of Mill Gill near the turnpike road for £28 and shortly afterwards built a mill there. This mill was commonly known as ‘Low Mill' to distinguish it from West Mill and the Flax mill further up stream.
For 22 years Agnes built up a successful business as a spinner and weaver of local wool. Producing worsted cloth, blankets and rough tweed and also being a collection centre for hand knitted garments brought in from the outlying farms and hamlets. Legend has it that the sailors at Trafalgar wore knitted socks from Askrigg.
The Mill continued as a woollen manufacturing centre under various different owners until 1873 when it was taken over by Thomas Weatherald. Low Mill then became a joinery shop. Work in wood from this shop can be seen throughout the dale. Front doors, roofing timbers, gates, pulpits, pews, furnishings and staircases can still be seen. Much of the work will never be seen, as over the years 2,500 coffins have been made.
Then in 1974 Weatherald's moved over the road the new and bigger premises and Low Mill was sold to The Askrigg Foundation. Then in 1976 Low Mill Young People's Centre was born.
Malcolm Stonestreet and The Askrigg Foundation established Low Mill in 1976. Malcolm's aim for the Centre was to share the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales with young people. The Centre was to provide a setting where they could develop their physical, mental, and spiritual well being, no matter what their circumstances or abilities.
The first Warden of the Centre was Mr Jennison Stocks who was appointed by a committee of trustees. It was this committee of local people who helped with raising the money for the charity.
At this time the building provided accommodation for 26 guests. Then in 1981 the Wing was built. This was specifically designed to accommodate people using wheelchairs and increased the capacity to 40.
Phil Woodyer took over as Head of Centre in 1993. The cottage next door to the Centre became accommodation for the Instructors. The garage behind the cottage was converted into the equipment store. In 1996 the porch and electric doors improved the access to the front of the building and the Kingfisher path was built up the side of the stream.
In 1999 a barn behind Marsett village was bought and converted into a bunk barn, which was opened in the year 2000. This added another dimension to The Low Mill Experience.
In 2008 Phil Woodyer retired and passed on the mantle to Terry Hailwood.