Low Mill Outdoor Centre, a converted water mill, is beautifully situated on the edge of the village of Askrigg, Wensleydale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It was opened in 1976 to run activity courses for groups of young people of all ages and in 1981, a Wing was added, taking the capacity of the centre to 40 persons.
Both the Wing and Main building have sleeping and bathroom facilities for people with disabilities. Low Mill is a non-profit making Charitable Trust run by a Management Committee elected from the local people. The outdoor centre is open for 52 weeks a year and runs midweek or weekend activity courses which are fully catered for and are inclusive of instruction and use of equipment.
Safe and Secure Adventure
- Safe adventure courses since 1976.
- Licensed and inspected by the Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority.
- Low Mill holds a Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge. This means we have been inspected and meet the LOTC national standards.
- All instructors go through rigorous in-house training plus National Governing Body Awards in relevant outdoor activities.
- All outdoor activities, indoor activities and venues have safety policy and risk assessment documents.
- The Low Mill Outdoor Centre also has a current Fire Risk Assessment and an annual Environmental Health Inspection.
- All instructors have current First Aid qualifications.
- The Low Mill Outdoor Centre has three minibuses, all of which can be adapted to take wheelchairs. All minibus drivers are fully trained with D1 entitlement.